About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Zucchini Bread

This recipe is by Ashley Christensen http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/zucchini-bread/

Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - I used a mix of white and wheat flours
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup canola oil - I used safflower oil since that was all I had
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 lb zucchini, coarsely shredded

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 1/2-by-4 inch loaf pan and coat it with sugar. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a medium bowl, whisk the canola oil with the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the shredded zucchini. Stir the zucchini batter into the dry ingredients.

2. Pour the zucchini bread batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the zucchini bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

I also added about a cup of chopped walnuts to the batter.

I'm making this as I write this post. I'm baking it in a cast iron bread pan. I'll let you know later how it turns out, and if I had any unforeseen problems, etc.

Happy Baking!

No comments: