About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Easy No Knead Bread

Taken from the book A Family Raised on Sunshine by Beverly Nye pg. 54

Makes 4 large 9 x 5 loaves or 7 small loaves

In a large bowl, pour 5 cups warm water. Add 2 pkgs. dry yeast.

When yeast is dissolved, add:

8 tbsp sugar or honey
8 tbsp shortening
8 tsp salt
6 cups flour

Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, with a mixer.

Add:

6 more cups flour

Stir in with spoon. Let rise. Spoon into pans. Let rise again. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes in large pans, 30 minutes in small. Take from pans immediately, brush with butter, and let cool on racks.

No comments: