About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Multi-Grain Muffins

Recipe taken from Simple Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin

Makes 12 muffins.

My note: it has a lot of ingredients, but the muffins are very much worth the time to mix and bake.

When you want a nutrient-packed muffin that's also moist and flavorful, choose these muffins for breakfast or a snack.

1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
2 tbls toasted wheat germ or bran
2 tbls cornmeal
1 tbls baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 small carrot, peeled and grated
1 medium apple, peeled and grated
1 egg
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1 cup low-fat milk

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter the tops and insides of a regular-size (1/3 cup) muffin pan.

2. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients up to and including the grated apple.

3. In another large bowl whisk the egg, oil, honey, and milk until the mixture is smooth. Mix in the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Do not overbeat the batter. Let it sit undisturbed for 1 minute so the grains can absorb the liquid. Fill the prepared muffin cups with the batter. Bake 17 to 18 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature, but not hot.

1 comment:

kim in ky. said...

Oh my goodness, these sound wonderful, maybe after the down-in-the-dumps cake though! I love all the different textures.