About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Poem to Share - Barn Dance

This is something I wrote a number of years ago about an old flame.

Barn Dance

A Dobro played on the radio;
we held each other in the weathered barn,
barely moving to the slow songs.
Suffolk ewes with their lambs
scattered
then returned
to catch a whiff of us two-legged creatures.
They breathed in rhythm.
Drifting through the boards of the barn
sun flickered over us,
while dust danced
in the streaming light.

A cloudy day,
I walk to the barn
and pour the cracked corn
into the feeder.
The sheep gather
in silence.
We breathe as one.

No comments: