About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Cuban Black Beans

This recipe is taken from the book Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies
by Suzanne Havala, M.S, R.D. pg. 203.

This recipe can be served over rice as an entree or thinned with vegetable broth, it can double as black bean soup.

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings

1/4 olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, including green leaves, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups (two 20-ounce cans) black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups dried black beans, soaked or cooked in a pressure cooker)
2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 bay leaf
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tbls lemon juice

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Cook the onions, green bell peppers, celery, and garlic in the oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).

2. Add the beans, salt, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and lemon juice and stir well to combine.

3. Cover and simmer for another 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Remove the bay leaf and serve over rice.

Per serving: Calories 195 (From Fat 63); Fat 7g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 593mg; Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 9g); Protein 8g.

2 comments:

Marigold said...

Yum! I've never tried beans before...only Peanuts. But if I do, this looks like it would be great. The goatmother says to tell you she likes your cats. I, of course, prefer goats, but then that goes without saying. - Marigold

Kathy in KY said...

Hi Marigold. You should try black beans, though they aren't nearly as tasty as peanuts. Tell the goatmother thanks for becoming my first and only (so far) follower. I feel honored! How is your yoga practice coming?