About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sourdough Starter and recipe

Here is a sourdough starter recipe that I have tweaked for my own uses. Tomorrow I will give the sourdough bread recipe.

2 Cups warm water
1 tbsp dry active yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
3 Cups flour (white or wheat or a mix of both)

Before putting the 2 C of water in the bowl, let the bowl fill a little with very warm water, and fill up your measuring cup with warm water and let sit for a few minutes. This will allow the 2 C of warm water for the mix to not cool down too much.

OK - measure your 2 C of warm water into the empty bowl, put in the tbsp of yeast, and the tbsp of sugar. Let sit for 5 to 7 minutes until the yeast activates and becomes foamy.

In another bowl, whisk together the 1 tbsp of salt and the 3 C of flour. Then put the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and whisk together into a sponge. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a towel and sit it in a warm area of your home to sour. Alternatively you can put the sponge in a large jar, place a piece of cheese cloth or an old t-shirt rag overtop and secure with a rubber band or canning jar band. This will allow air to get to it to ferment. Let the sponge sit for 24 hours or up to 5 days to sour. Each day stir the sponge down, as liquid will normally form on top, and a thick flour/water mix on the bottom.

Tomorrow I'll continue with the bread recipe you can use the sponge for.

Happy Baking.

No comments: