About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bow-tie Pasta With Black-eyed Peas and Greens

This is a recipe much like Hoppin' John, but I make it year round rather than just at New Years.

12 oz bow-tie pasta
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic or to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
10 oz bag frozen black-eyed peas
10 to 16 oz chicken broth
Greens of your choice, washed, trimmed, coarsely chopped
Parmesan cheese

1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta about 7 minutes or until it is not quite tender. Drain and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, slice onion into thin slices and mince garlic. Heat olive oil in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until browning and fragrant, stirring often.

3. Add crushed pepper flakes, salt, and black-eyed peas to the skillet. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 25 minutes. The chicken broth should just cover the peas; if it doesn't add more liquid.

4. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes more. Add greens, cook until wilted. Add pasta and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and toss with some of the cheese. Then serve in warmed bowls with grated parmesan cheese for the top.

Should serve 4 or more.

Happy Cooking

No comments: