About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dutch Spiced Cabbage

Taken from the Melting Pot files of the Yahoo group Home Canning


If you are new to canning, see the link to the National Center for Home Food Preservation website in the previous post where you will find canning directions and other canning recipes.

2 heads red or green cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup salt
1 gallon vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp each mace, allspice, cinnamon
1/2 cup honey


1. Sprinkle shredded cabbage with salt and let stand 24 hours.
2. Press moisture out of salted cabbage and let stand for 3 hours.
3. Boil the vinegar for 8 minutes with water and spices. Add honey.
4. Pour hot liquid over cabbage. Keep in large bowl or earthen jar, or can by heating to simmering.
5. Pack hot cabbage and liquid into hot canning jars to 1/2 of the top of the jar.
6. Cover with hot juice, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Remove air bubbles.
7. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes for pints or 20 minutes for quarts unless you live at an altitude above 1,000 feet; then consult your canning manual for directions for adjusting your time to match your altitude if necessary.

No comments: