About Me

My photo
Fayette Co, KY, United States
I am a country girl stuck in the city, for the time-being. I enjoy the country way of life, and practice that in my home as best I can by canning and preserving foods, cooking and baking from scratch, crocheting, living vicariously thru the many blogs I follow about country life. I enjoy learning about raising livestock, and glean from my past employment and personal experiences of working with animals to fuel some of my postings. I have 5 cats, who keep my life interesting. And I am also an amateur poet. Thanks for stopping by and checking out this Farmer-gal who is caught in town, for now.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Wildflowers in a Mason Jar - John Denver








These photos are from the following website: http://www.freeherbpictures.com/

I was thinking of the John Denver song today, "Wildflowers in a Mason Jar." Couldn't find any pix with flowers in mason jars to download, so these will have to suffice.

The lyrics to the song are as follows:

January back in '55 we road a Greyhound bus through the Georgia midnight
Grandpa was sleepin', and the winter sky was clear
We hit a bump and his head jerked back a little and he mumble somethin'
He woke up smilin' but his eyes were filled with tears.
He said:

I dreamed I was back on the farm
Twenty years have passed boy but the memory still warms me
Wildflowers in a mason jar.

He told me those old stories 'bout that one-room cabin in Kentucky
The smell of rain, and the warm earth in his hands
He slowly turned and stared outside his face was mirrored in the window
And his reflection flew across the moonlit land.

And he dreamed he was back on the farm
Tilts his head and listens to the early sound of the mornin'
Wildflowers in a mason jar.

An old man and an eight-year old boy rollin' down that midnight highway
Kentucky memories on a winter Georgia night
I started driftin' off and Grandpa tucked his coat around me
I think I tried to smile as I slowly closed my eyes

And I dreamed I was with him on the farm
Grandpa I can hear the evenin' wind out in the tall corn
Wildflowers in a mason jar
And the bus rolled through the night.
I hope you enjoyed today's post - it brings back memories for me.














No comments: